For the longest time, Filipinos have been struggling against scammers and phishing. Digital wallets, banks, and other financial institutions have continuously introduced new features to provide extra security to their clients, with the latest being GCash’s double authentication feature.
GCash Double Authentication
Double authentication is GCash’s latest security feature that helps users to prevent unauthorized transactions using facial recognition. This means that only you, the user, will be the only one to access your GCash account on any device and other people won’t be able to log in without your permission.
“This feature removes customers’ dependence on SMS OTP (one-time password), which has been exploited by some fraudsters to scam users. It will provide a unique identifier that can’t be phished by scammers. It also provides an additional layer of security to the current SMS OTP,” GCash chief customer officer Winsley Royce Bangit said.
This move follows GCash’s decision to migrate SMS notifications to their app inbox and to remove clickable links in all official e-mails and messages.
How you can activate GCash double authentication
Simply follow these steps:
- Open your GCash App and log in to your account with your mobile number. Tap Next.
- Tap Send Code.
- Enter OTP.
- Tap MPIN Login and enter your MPIN.
- Prepare for your selfie scan and tap Next.
- Take your selfie scan.
For your selfie scan, GCash suggests taking the scan in a well-lit room, wearing the proper attire, and making sure that your full face is shown without any masks, glasses, or other accessories and that there are no other people in the background. You also need to wait for the camera to finish scanning your face.
If you’re unable to do the facial recognition process, there are no other verification methods available as of the moment, according to GCash.
Can’t activate Double Authentication on your device yet?
According to GCash, there are a few reasons for this:
- As this feature is currently on limited release, only select users have access to it. But it will soon be coming for all users.
- If you’re using Biometrics to log in, the face scan for Double Authentication will not appear. GCash suggests using MPIN to log in to your account.
- There are only 5 allowable attempts for Double Authentication, and you might have exceeded that. You will need to wait 24 hours before you can try again.
If your case isn’t mentioned above, you may submit a ticket to GCash’s customer service.
For more information, you can visit GCash’s website.