Since almost the entire world is under house arrest, it’s easy for days to blend together. Most of us while away time sleeping or being a Professional Couch Potato and we’ve most likely tried out every form of entertainment that could be found in the house. Bored? Why not exercise your creative mind and try your hand at creating PowerPoint presentations for fun.
What exactly are PowerPoint Parties?
Last night I went to a party where everyone had to prepare a 3 minute lecture on something they were passionate about.
I won best presentation. pic.twitter.com/WSTOJzsqZu
— Michal (@Miexriir) January 14, 2018
The thing is, PowerPoint parties aren’t new. The first time this wholesome activity was introduced to the internet was in 2018 when Twitter user @miexriir posted her epic Shadow the Hedgehog presentation. The party she was attending was called “Drink Talk Learn” where attendees gave 3-minute presentations on anything they feel passionately about. Thus, an awesome activity was born.
How to host your own online PowerPoint Party
Of course in the age of corona, you and your barkada can’t exactly organize your own DTL and meet but you can do the next best thing instead — let technology take over.
To start an online PowerPoint Party, the host must log into their Zoom or Hangouts account and share the meeting link with the participants. The group can then start their presentations one by one via the screen share feature. Make sure to assign time limits to the presentations. You can also assign themes (Disney, politics, unpopular opinion) if you think participants’ interests are too broad.
No idea what to present? Try one of these prompts as starting points:
filipino twitter, what if we did a zoom powerpoint party but everyone has to defend their favorite silog
— quarantina makalintal (@bettinamak) April 15, 2020
Anything and everything under the sun that’s Pinoy is a great topic — from pop culture, politics, unpopular opinion, and even showbiz. Don’t forget to add humor to the presentation to make it even more remarkable to those who will listen.
- If you were in charge, how would you deal with the corona virus in the country
- Why Ethel Booba is lying about not handling her Twitter account
- Defend your favorite silog
- Top tier street food/fast food fried chicken
- Chilling Filipino murder mysteries
- The weirdest Philippine mythology creatures and their origins
- Worst showbiz loveteams
- Reasons why they should totally end Ang Probinsyano
Comparing this to that
Wag na tayo maglokohan pa ♂️ pic.twitter.com/2WJuyVlLM3
— Jibs (@jbrsngsng) April 15, 2020
Comparisons are always great jump-off points, all the information is there and all you have to do is explain each side and then divide the audience and watch them debate amongst themselves.
- iPhone vs Android as the superior smartphone
- Why spaghetti is better than carbonara
- Yakult vs Delight
- Aice Ice Cream vs Cornetto
- Why FRIENDS is better than How I Met Your Mother
Coffee crumble is THE god tier icecream flavor. I rest my case. https://t.co/rbo0n1FKlL
— (@Ckrishnan_) April 12, 2020
Another easy approach to a PowerPoint presentation party is talking about a couple of things you’ve ranked. Come up with clever topics to rile a few listeners.
- Why Coffee Crumble is the best ice cream flavor
- Top tier Barbie movies
- Disney Princesses based who’s the most sensible
- Absolute ultimate best Disney movies
- Most boyfriend material member of SB19
- A definitive ranking (and commentary) of beer brand
- Worst fictional boyfriend
— Adam Moussa (@adamjmoussa) April 15, 2020
Don’t overthink thinking of a topic, this activity should be enjoyable not stressful. Pop culture is definitely one of the easiest to draw topics from. Don’t forget to make your presentation design as unique as possible, sometimes the more gimmicky it looks, the better.
- Rate characters from [insert movie/TV show] based on their [insert quality]
- How [insert movie title] should have ended
- Which Hogwarts House PH Senators fall under
- How Animal Crossing is saving everyone this quarantine
- Hottest anime characters
- DJ Loonyo is a cultural reset
The most absurd topics
The best part about creating presentations like these is that your friends are your audience and you can go off the rails as far as you want. They won’t judge. In fact, the weirder and more absurd the better! We’re sure you can think of better topics than the prompts listed below.
- I’m still convinced Lady Gaga is part of the Illuminati
- How I’m spending my quarantine — a photo diary
- I’m going to convince you to try Brazilian waxing
- I’m convinced we are just brains piloting slabs of meat
- Why thieves and robbers are probably suffering from depression right now
- I tried eating dog/cat food
- What you’ll hear if you backward mask Unique Salonga songs
Who says history is boring? Go ahead and talk their ear off with interesting historical information.
- Detailed history of K-Pop
- The first meme that ever made it on the internet
- The history of rubbing alcohol
- Who started that Dalgona coffee trend?
- In Photos: The History of Toilet Bowls
At the end of the day, a PowerPoint party should make you feel happy that you’ve been allowed to talk about what you’re passionate about and you’ve been given a reason to put your rusty presentation skills to good use. Once the quarantine gets lifted, you can take this to the next level, business attire and all.
Have you tried joining a PowerPoint party?